Round The Bend’s Farmer/Chef Shaun Van Laarhoven shares this savory sandwich patty made from a mix of wintered-over tubers–parsnips, Jerusalem artichokes, turnips, carrots, potatoes–shredded in the food processor or on the widest slots of a hand grater.
- 3 cups coarsely shredded tubers (see headnote)
- 2 cloves garlic or scapes
- 1 large bunch green onion tops, garlic greens, or chives, chopped
- 1 cup coarsely pureed chickpeas
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour, corn flour or rice flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher or coarse sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper and hot red pepper, to taste
- grapeseed oil, for frying
Mix all ingredients except oil together in a large bowl.
Heat grapeseed oil in a cast iron pan over medium heat, make patties of the mixture and fry 4 to 5 minutes per side.
RTB’s farmers grow and raise far more than food in South Dartmouth—they also cultivate social justice, propagate sustainability, and nurture the awareness of conscious living choices. The farm operates as a “living laboratory” with ambitious and worthy goals.