Count on 4 ounces linguiça per person. Cut the sausage into 3-inch lengths. Slice in half lengthwise. Place on grill and cook until sizzling. Serve on a hotdog bun, hamburger bun, or hard roll. Grill an onion and pepper while you’re at it to top your linguiça sandwich.
- 1 to 2 pounds linguiça or chouriço, cut bite-size
- 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 or 2 cans kidney beans, or ½ pound dry red kidney beans, soaked and cooked tender
- 1-2 teaspoons salt, to taste
- 2 bunches fresh kale, chopped
- 1 small head of cabbage, chopped
- 6 potatoes, peeled and diced
Place linguiça or chouriço in soup pot. Add red pepper, onion, and beans (with their cooking liquid) and cover with water. Bring water to a boil and simmer gently at least 30 minutes. Add kale, cabbage, and beans to broth. Simmer 20 minutes or until kale is about half cooked, taste for salt and correct, then add potatoes and cook another 30 minutes.
384 Faunce Corner Road
North Dartmouth, MA 02747