- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeno, chopped
- 1 to 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon cumin seed
- 2 teaspoons good curry powder
- 1 pound cleaned fresh squid, cut bite-size
- 3 to 4 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 4 or 5 potatoes, peeled and chunked
- 1 to 2 teaspoons piri piri or other hot pepper sauce
- kosher or sea salt, to taste
In a soup pot or dutch oven, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and fry gently until translucent and gold-tinged, about 10 minutes. Turn up the heat a notch and add the jalapeno and garlic and cook 30 seconds before tossing in the cumin, curry, and squid. Fry until it smells great, then add the tomatoes, turmeric, and a fat pinch of salt, and bring back to a simmer. Turn in the potatoes and piri piri, and stir in enough hot water to just cover the potatoes. Simmer until the squid has become tender, about 25 to 30 minutes.
Serves 6 over rice; crusty bread on the side.