Laurie Sybertz spicy black bean soup is a crowd-pleaser at her Annual Christmas Open House. It’s vegan, so she serves it knowing that all her guests can enjoy it. The recipe is nothing fancy and pulls together quickly (perfect for unexpected company!). Laurie mentioned that she found the recipe in a magazine over a decade ago. It’s not a family recipe, nothing handed down over the years, just simple and satisfying.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- ½ cup chopped hot green chiles, or to taste (fresh roasted, canned or frozen)
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 pound black beans, cooked tender or two 15-ounce cans black beans, with liquid
- 2 teaspoons powdered red chile
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes with liquid
- 1 cup water, or as needed to thin soup
In a large soup pot over medium heat, heat oil and add the onion. Sauté over medium-high heat till transparent, about 3 minutes. Add chiles and garlic, and sauté for 2 minutes more.
Stir in remaining ingredients and simmer at least 10 minutes.