by SUZETTE MARTINEZ STANDRING
Literally translated, this “white garlic” soup hails, lush and bold, from the south of Spain. Take note that the taste of garlic will intensify with each day that it is stored.
- 2/3 cup blanched raw almonds
- 1 small clove garlic
- 3 cups water
- 5 ounces (about 1 1/2 cups) torn-up robust white bread (use half of the interior of a good-quality pound loaf)
- 1/2 cup of Spanish (or other high quality) extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or coarse sea salt, or to taste
- 2 tablespoons of white wine vinegar
Grind almonds and garlic. Then add water, bread, olive oil, and salt. Let the mixture stand for ten minutes. Puree and then put through a mesh strainer. Add vinegar to this rich emulsion. Garnish with toasted, sliced almonds or peeled, sliced green grapes, if desired.