- 3 pounds assorted wild mushrooms, cleaned, trimmed, and cut bite-size
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 – 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 – 2 shallots, minced
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- ¼ cup chopped fresh sage
- 2 teaspoons sea salt, or more to taste
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, or to taste
- 8 eggs
- 4 egg yolks
- 3 ½ cups cream
- 3 ½ cups whole milk
- 1 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 10 cups cubed brioche or other quality bread, tough crusts removed, and dried overnight
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Butter a 10”x14” baking pan or very large casserole.
Heat the oil in a very large skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms (in batches if necessary) and cook, tossing frequently, until cooked through and lightly browned, 5 to 10 minutes. Add garlic and shallot in last minute of cooking. Turn off the heat and add the herbs and season with salt and pepper.
In a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs and yolks. Beat in the cream, milk, and cheese. Add the bread cubes and allow to soak for at least a few minutes. Turn in the mushroom mixture, and mix well. Pour into the prepared baking dish and cover with foil. Bake 45 minutes; remove foil and bake 30-45 minutes, or until pudding is set in center and top is delicately brown.
Serves 25 – 30.