Photos By Mike Race. Recipe by Paula Marcoux.
- 3 pounds thick country-style ribs
- 3 tablespoons olive or neutral oil
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 2 lemons, thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed, ground
- 1 tablespoon coriander seed, ground
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed, bruised
- 1 teaspoon juniper berries, bruised
- 1 teaspoon peppercorns, ground
- 1 fresh hot red pepper, chopped, or 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1½ teaspoons kosher salt
Put the meat in a large sealable tub or bowl. Mix the rest of the ingredients and add to the meat, sloshing it all around and massaging it into every surface. Cover and allow to marinate a couple hours. Make sure meat is at room temperature before slapping on the schwenker over hot coals.
Grab a beverage and your podmates, tend the fire, and keep the schwenker moving. Grill meat until sizzly and delicious-looking on one side, then flip and grill to an internal temperature of 145 degrees, counting on maybe 10 to 15 minutes per side. Remove to a warm platter to rest a few minutes before tucking in.