Thanks to Stellios Karastamatis for sharing an offering from the Cedar Cafe menu–tasty vegetable patties that easily adapt to the home kitchen.
- 1 medium (roughly 10-inch) zucchini, coarsely grated
- 1 carrot, coarsely grated
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup crumbled feta
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup finely chopped fresh chives
- ¼ cup finely chopped fresh mint leaves
- ¼ cup finely chopped fresh dill
- ¼ cup finely chopped fresh basil leaves
- salt, to taste
- olive oil, for frying
- Greek-style yogurt (optional; to accompany)
Squeeze the grated zucchini in a clean kitchen towel to rid it of excess water; place wrung-out shreds in a medium mixing bowl. Add the carrot, egg, feta, flour, herbs, and a few pinches of salt and mix well.
Place a pan over medium-high heat and add 3 tablespoons of olive oil. Form patties of the mixture and fry on both sides until golden-brown. Drain on a rack or paper towels. Continue frying the remaining patties and serve hot with Greek yogurt on the side, if desired.
Serves 4 as an appetizer.