• 1 pound flounder fillets (or any local fish fillets or scallops)
• 1/2 bunch cilantro stems and leaves
• 3 cloves garlic
• 2 tablespoons sunflower seeds
• 1 hot chile. Adjust the piquancy to your liking—use a scotch bonnet or habanero for a spicy rendition; two serranos for medium; or a big jalapeño for mild.
• 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
• 1/2 teaspoon whole cumin seeds
• juice of half a lemon
• 3 tablespoons neutral oil like sunflower or canola
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Arrange the fish fillets in a single layer in a baking dish that just fits them.
Put the remainder of the ingredients into a food processor and whiz into submission. Dump the sauce on the fish. Swish the fillets around a bit so that they are napped with the sauce all over. Pop into the oven and bake about 10 minutes, or until fish just flakes.
Serves 2; nice over basmati rice.
Paula Marcoux recipe.