by SUZETTE MARTINEZ STANDRING
Substituting an apple for the usual cucumber delivers a bright note to this classic.
- 3 pounds ripe tomatoes
- 1 summer apple, peeled and cored
- 1 cubanelle or other small fresh garden pepper, seeded
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped sweet onion
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine or cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon kosher or coarse sea salt, or to taste
Puree the tomatoes, apple, pepper, and onion. Pass the mixture through a mesh strainer, stirring and pressing through the solids.
Whisk in olive oil, vinegar, and salt to taste. Chill.
spread the stuff that doesn’t go through the sieve on toast, with a thread of olive oil and a sprinkle of salt.