from The Roman Table
- 12 tomatoes (or 2 pounds cherry tomatoes), halved
- ¼ cup organic Tuscan extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons sugar (optional)
- 1½ teaspoons kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
Select a baking sheet that will just accommodate your tomato halves and preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
Give the tomatoes a little squeeze over a bowl to extrude most of the seeds. In another bowl, toss them gently with the remainder of the ingredients. Arrange them snugly, cut side up, on your baking sheet. Roast for 20 to 40 minutes, depending on the size of the tomatoes. Give the pan a little shake about two-thirds through the cooking time; the tomatoes should really be beginning to caramelize before they come out of the oven.
Cool and spoon into small freezer bags to savor all winter long.