From the Editor’s of Cook’s Illustrated: The New Best Recipe (Cook’s Illustrated, 2012).
• 1 1/2 pounds asparagus, tough ends snapped off
• 7 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
• Salt and ground black pepper
• 1 lemon, halved crosswise
• 1 medium shallot, minced
• 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh thyme leaves
Heat a grill over medium-hot coals.
Toss the asparagus with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
Place the lemon halves on the grill cut-side down and grill about 3 minutes, or until streaked with grill marks. Squeeze the lemon into a medium bowl through a strainer. Whisk in shallot, thyme, remaining olive oil, and salt and pepper to taste.
Grill the asparagus 5 to 7 minutes, turning once, until tender and streaked with grill marks. Transfer to a platter and drizzle with the vinaigrette. Serve immediately.