This mind-blowing salad came to the author courtesy of Jo DelAmor, nutritionist and raw-food advocate (www.RadiantBalance.com). To sprout lentils, start with ½ cup, soak overnight in cool water, drain, and let sit on counter, loosely covered, for three or four days. Rinse and drain two or three times a day. When the lentils are sprouting from both ends and no longer taste starchy, pop in the fridge. Fun project with strangely addictive results.
- 1 bunch kale (Tuscan or “dinosaur” kale is especially good)
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1½ cups sprouted lentils
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced
- 1 avocado, diced
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons flax oil or extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint, basil, or cilantro, minced (optional)
Wash, destem, and finely chop the kale. Place in a large bowl and sprinkle with sea salt. Massage the salt into the kale until it turns bright green and limp as though it’s been cooked—about three minutes. Add remaining ingredients to the kale and toss until well mixed.