Noelle says of her reinterpretation of the classic Lebanese parsley salad, “Once you make this homemade, it’s hard to buy it again!” She replaces the traditional bulgur with high-protein quinoa, but, if you’d like to cleave to the original, just use ½ cup fi ne bulgur, briefly soaked in cool water and drained.
- 1 cup quinoa
- leaves of 1 or 2 large bunches of parsley, minced (4 or 5 cups)
- 4-5 scallions, minced
- ¼ cup mint leaves, minced
- juice of 1 lemon
- cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tomato and/or 1 cucumber, seeded and minced
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
In a saucepan, bring 4 cups of water and ½ teaspoon salt to a boil. Meanwhile rinse quinoa in a bowl of cool water, rubbing the grains together with your fi ngers. Drain in sieve and rinse again. Boil rinsed quinoa about 15 minutes. It should have a bit of bite left. Drain in sieve, and let cool. Mix in the rest of the ingredients and keep cool. Best eaten within a few hours.