• the yolks of 2 hard-boiled eggs (inclopped whites in the salad, if you like)
• 1 tablespoon cream or water or tomalley (the green stuff inside the lobster)
• 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
• 1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
• 1/2 teaspoon sugar (optional)
• pinch of cayenne
• 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
• 2 tablespoons wine vinegar
• 2 cups finely torn inner leaves of soft lettuce OR 2 cups watercress or other zesty tender green
• the meat of one boiled or steamed local lobster, plus her coral (roe) if available, cut or shredded bite-size
• a few sprigs of tarragon, chervil, or burnet (optional)
Mash the yolks in a mortar or with the back of a soup spoon in a soup plate. Work in the rest of the dressing ingredients gradually and individually, in the order given, making sure each one is well amalgamated before adding the next. Taste for seasoning.
Put the dressing in the serving dish. Arrange the lobster, coral, lettuce, and optional herb atop. Display, toss, and enjoy.