• one unbaked 10-inch pie shell
• 6 eggs
• 1 cup, less 2 tablespoons (6 ounces) sugar
• 12 tablespoons (6 ounces) butter, melted
• 3 large apples, peeled and grated (a good 2 cups or 11 ounces grated apple)
• zest and juice of 1 lemon
• few drops rosewater (optional)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Whisk eggs until foamy, then beat in sugar until light. Beat in melted butter. Add the apples, lemon zest and juice, and optional rosewater, and combine well.
Pour into pie shell and bake about 60 minutes, or until the custard is just set.
Cool on a rack before serving.