- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 sweet onions, sliced thinly
- 2 green bell peppers, sliced into1/2-inch-wide strips
- 2 red bell peppers, sliced into1/2-inch-wide strips
- 6 large cloves garlic, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup canned crushed tomatoes or 2 medium fresh tomatoes, chopped
- 3/4 cup dry white wine
- 36 littleneck clams (about 6 pounds), scrubbed clean
- 1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce, or to taste
Heat olive oil in large pot over medium-high heat.
Add onions, peppers, garlic, and bay leaves and sauté until onions are golden, about 10 minutes.
Stir in tomatoes and wine.
Bring mixture to boil, simmer 3 minutes, and add clams. Cover and cook until clams open, stirring and shaking the pan occasionally, about 8 minutes.
Stir in hot pepper sauce and serve.
Serves 4 (or 8 as an appetizer).
267 Coggeshall Street