- 1 unbaked 9-inch piecrust
- 1 lemon
- 1 cup plain unsweetened applesauce
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup sweet or cream sherry
- 6 tablespoons salted butter, melted
- 4 large eggs, well beaten
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ½ teaspoon grated nutmeg, or to taste
- sweetened whipped cream (optional garnish)
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Grate the zest from the lemon into a large mixing bowl; squeeze in the juice. Add the rest of the ingredients, and mix well. Pour the filling into the pie shell and bake 1 hour or until set. Cool and serve with whipped cream, if you like.