- 1 cup nonfat milk or soy milk
- ¼ cup firmly packed dark brown organic sugar
- ¼ cup canned organic pumpkin or sweet potato puree. (Fresh pumpkin would be better, but you can use canned organic for quick and easy.)
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp. cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 2 tsp. natural peanut butter
- Dried fruit and nuts
- Pure maple syrup for serving
In a small saucepan, combine the milk, sugar, pumpkin,
vanilla and spice. Bring to a gentle boil and stir in the
oatmeal. Reduce the heat and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes,
until the oatmeal is soft and creamy. Stir in the peanut butter.
Spoon the oatmeal into bowls, sprinkle with dried fruit and
nuts, if you like, and serve warm with maple syrup.
Recipe idea from Deceptively Delicious, by Jessica Seinfeld