South Shore Southwestern Egg Bake
Prep your peppers the night before, and this tasty casserole stirs up in no time.
- 12 ounces cheddar, jack, or pepper jack cheese, grated (about 3 cups)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 12 eggs
- 2 cups (one 15- or 16-ounce container) ricotta or cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup (4 ounces) butter, melted and cooled a bit
- 1 large tomato, diced (no need to peel and seed)
- 6 anaheim or poblano chiles, charred, peel slipped off, seeded, and diced (or 2 4-ounce cans of chopped green chiles, drained)
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Mix the flour, baking powder, and salt in a large mixing bowl. Add the grated cheese and toss thoroughly.
In another large bowl, beat the eggs. Whisk in the ricotta or cottage cheese, and then the butter, tomato, and chiles. Add the dredged grated cheese and combine thoroughly. Butter a 13” x 9” glass or ceramic baking dish, and pour in the mixture.
Bake 40-45 minutes, or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Delicious hot, warm, or room temperature.