Kingston Public Library and edible South Shore magazine
present South Shore Locavores
Forks Over Knives, following a plant-based diet
May 22, 2012
Books Available in OCLN
- Forks Over Knives: the plant-based way to health edited by Gene Stone, 2011. The how-to companion to the feature documentary Forks Over Knives.
- Forks Over Knives A Year of Meals: 365 recipes for Plant-Based Eating Every Day of the Year by Del Sroufe, 2012.
- The China Study: the most comprehensive study of nutrition ever conducted and the startling implications for diet, weight loss and long–term health by T. Colin Campbell, 2004.
- Going vegan: a healthy guide to making the switch by Dana Meachen Rau, 2012.
- The inspired vegan: seasonal ingredients, creative recipes, mouthwatering menus by Bryant Terry, 2012.
- Vegan Cooking for Carnivores: over 150 recipes so tasty you won’t miss the meat by Roberto Martin, 2012.
- Vegan for Life: everything you need to know to be healthy and fit on a plant-based diet by Jack Norris, 2011.
Nicole Cormier, RD, (508) 813-9282
Nicole joined us for the film Forks Over Knives; she is a registered Dietitian. Please feel free to email her with any questions you may have about the film or nutrition in general.
Nicoles thoughts after seeing the film: “Plant-based foods are the best tools we have available for healing and protecting our body from major chronic illnesses. So, you may want to think about the purpose of your food choices before taking today’s medications.”
www.forksoverknives.com Premise: reverse and prevent disease with a whole-food plant-based diet.
www.tcolincampbell.org Website of Dr. Campbell’s Foundation. Information. Articles on plant-based nutrition.
www.consumerfreedom.com Center for Consumer Freedom: protecting choices.
www.platetoplanet.org A farm sanctuary project.
www.mayoclinic.com Nutrition and healthy eating guidelines
www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource Knowledge for healthy eating
www.rawfoodsos.com Denise Minger’s website
Further Discussion on Plant Based Nutrition:
www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/index.php/385/, Harriet Hall examines the science of the China Study
www.proteinpower.com/drmike/cancer/the-china-study-vs-the-china-study/, Dr. Michael Eades on the China Study
rawfoodsos.com/the-china-study/, Denise Minger’s links to all her posts on Raw Food SOS pertaining to the China Study
www.nytimes.com/roomfordebate/2012/04/17/is-veganism-good-for-everyone/the-jury-is-still-out, Article by Rhys Southan creator of Let Them Eat Meat blog
well.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/01/07/nutrition-advice-from-the-china-study/, Interview with T. Colin Campbell
huntgatherlove.com/content/let-them-eat-meat, Interview with Rhys Southan
articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2011/10/13/vegetarian-movie-forks-over-knives–critically-reviewed.aspx, Dr. Mercola critically reviews Forks Over Knives
articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2011/01/08/chris-masterjohn-criticism-of-the-china-study.aspx, Dr. Mercola–further criticism of the China Study.